Sunday, April 18, 2010

Paulina Meat Market Butcher Portrait




Once again, Photoshop has given me the creative tools to "make" the photograph into something extraordinary. I had jotted down a few thoughts of my client's during our initial meeting, and remembered her saying how she loves all the old Saturday Evening Post covers featuring Norman Rockwell. She wanted to show a warm, trustworthy, neighborly butcher.

The place: Paulina's Meat Market, 9am.  The scenario: keep customers in good spirits whilst jumping in front of them, over top of them, and around them to get usable portraits of men with knives.  Kind men.  Men who had donated a few of their early-morning meat-cutting minutes to manage a smile for the man with the camera, despite their hidden agendas of bashing my lens into my face. 

With super-fun mixed-light sources of flash, daylight, and the ever-so-popular florescent tubes hitting my subject, my initial capture would need some color adjusting in Photoshop, I silently told myself.

With mere seconds between customers, I slid my umbrella-rigged Q-Flash portable strobe in closer to the counter so as to shed some light on my subjects over the course of the exposures. Three of the frames didn't make the cut, but this forth one was the money-shot, thanks to a small squeaky toy I hide in my pocket used to loosen smiles. Paulina's Meat Market was certainly the place, and this kind man wins for "best face"!

No comments:

Post a Comment